guts·y (gts)
adj. guts·i·er, guts·i·est Slang
1. Marked by courage or daring; plucky.
2. Robust and uninhibited; lusty: "the gutsy . . . intensity of her musical involvement" Judith Crist.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Listening to One's Body: Knee Pain vs. Extra Firewood

We all know it's "important to listen to your body."  I think I'm so accustomed to various pains in my left leg over the past eight years -- most of them caused these days by swelling, and a few caused by RSD -- that I've been failing to pay attention to additional pain from this knee thing.

While filling up the wheelbarrow with the second (!) load of firewood this evening and fighting the temptation to go back for a third load (!!), my knee started to hurt.  Or maybe started to hurt even more than before, I don't know.  But I caught myself ignoring it, pushing it out of my consciousness, saying instead, "Wow, this well seasoned firewood is so much lighter than the heavy wet green stuff, it's great!  I might as well go grab another load." 

No.  Stop.  Listen to your body.  My knee hurts.  I already got two loads of wood.  I don't need any more wood tonight.  My knee hurts.  My knee needs to rest and have ice on it.  My leg needs to rest.  I should probably stick it in the leg machine (to reduce swelling) for my daily 1.5 hours.  No more wood.  Take care of the knee.  Listen to your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment