guts·y (gts)
adj. guts·i·er, guts·i·est Slang
1. Marked by courage or daring; plucky.
2. Robust and uninhibited; lusty: "the gutsy . . . intensity of her musical involvement" Judith Crist.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Knee Surgery Scheduled for March 24

No news was good news.

I slipped (indoors, avoiding slipping on ice) about six weeks ago.  Tore the meniscus in my left knee.  Arthroscopic surgery is commonly minor and associated with fast recovery, so I'm trying to stay optimistic.  But nothing that happens with my left leg seems common or quick to heal.  So although this seems neither Nervy nor Gutsy, the nerves and guts are sure to be affected.

Can you help me out during my first few days after surgery?  Please email me if you're available for any of the following times:
  1. Wednesday, March 23: help with last-minute pre-op errands, chores, early supper --> ??
  2. March 24 ride to Mount Auburn Hospital for surgery, 6:30 AM --> Brian S. has already volunteered.
  3. March 24 ride home from surgery, noon --> Brian S. again!
  4. Thursday afternoon, March 24 - help me get settled comfortably at home --> ??
  5. Thursday evening, March 24, help with supper between 5 and 7 PM --> ??
  6. Friday, March 25 --  morning/noon time, help with errands, cleaning, meals --> ??
  7. Friday evening, March 25 -- help with Shabbat dinner, 5-7 PM --> ??
  8. Saturday, March 26 -- help at home with meals --> ??
  9. Sunday, March 27 -- help with errands, cleaning, meals --> ??
  10. Monday, March 28 -- ride to Mount Auburn hospital for follow-up with surgeon, time TBD --> ??
  11. Monday, March 28 -- ride home from Mount Auburn Hospital, time TBD --> ??
I'm still driving a manual-shift car; not sure when I'll be able to drive it again post-surgery.  This means I might need more help with rides and/or a short-term swap with someone who has an automatic.

On a positive note (b'li 'ayin ha-ra'), my diet has slowly been expanding to include things that would have landed me in the ER just a few months ago.  I still have to be careful to avoid a lot of fiber, and spicy things are completely out of the question (including onions and garlic), but at least there a few vegetables I can eat now, which should make helping me quite a bit easier.

As ever, I'd be happy to do my best to entertain you with discussions about articles in the New Yorker, silly jokes, and Hebrew tutoring at any level.  Musicians: I've been learning to play blues harmonica; maybe we can do a little jamming?

Meanwhile trying to remember at all times to Be Happy: It's Adar.

Natasha
Nataniela bat Zippora

P.S. For those who have yet to visit me at my digs in Lincoln, or who have only been here at night, let me remind you that the view of the woods from my house is gorgeous in any weather, through the sliding-glass doors and my rectangular, triangular, and circular windows.  Also through the ceiling full of skylights.  Springtime here is unbelievably beautiful, with the flora and fauna of acres and acres of protected wetlands right outside my door.

No comments:

Post a Comment